20’s are the actual formation years when you are out of your colleges and trying to make something of yourself. There are certainly few books that allow a person to be a realist, an idealist and of all a fundamentalist. My picks for the 20s would be
Also Read Best Investing Books for Beginners
Must Read Books for People in their 20
- The Richest Man in Babylon by Samuel Clason: This book contains the financial skills that made Babylon the richest ancient city, despite being located in a barren desert. If you want to know the timeless rules of wealth, it’s a must-read.
- Plutarch’s Lives Vol I & II by Plutarch: It has biographies of twenty-eight great men of Ancient Greece and Rome. It brings you into the lives of Alexander the Great, Julis Cesar and what made them great.
- Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi: Flow is a state of enhanced performance and focus. Due to flow, Michael Angelo or Newton would forget to sleep or eat while working. It’s a guide on how you can activate the flow state yourself and tap into your potential.
- Meditations by Marcus Aurelius: It’s personal notes of a philosopher-king of Rome. It’s his way of stoic living in his own words. Even after his death, his work was continued to be praised by the noblemen of Ancient Rome.
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle: We have a negative chatter in our head that tells us what we can’t do. This book explores how this voice is created and how to break free from it. If you understand what it says, it’s like taking a breath to realize you lived your life in suffocation.
- How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie: We have become cortisol producing machines. 77% of people experience stress that leads to health problems in America alone. This book teaches you how to deal with inevitables worries with stories of real people.
- On The Shortness of Life by Seneca: It’s a book about preserving your time, written by a stoic philosopher who was wrongfully accused and was forced to take his own life. He asks “If a freeloader friend asked you for money every day, would you give it?” — “No, then why not do the same with your time?”
- The Great Indian Novel by Shashi Tharoor– for all those lazy folks who think that Mahabharata is too long a read. With a mixture of the plots of Mahabharata and freedom movement ending with Indira Gandhi’s emergency, this book is the perfect Indian Satire.
- Autobiography of a Yogi by Swami Parmahansa – this is not a scripture but is valued more than it. For every atheist who questions a lot, this a book that might solve a few of your answers. For me, this book was never preachy but the flow of thought accompanied logic hand-in-hand for every second.
- The Bhagvad Gita– its a daring task I tell you to even pick this book up. But this is not just a book when you read it, its a conversation that is the wholesome of every inquisitive conversation that would have happened anywhere in the world. Its not about a God, nor is it about the Devil, but its about the both of them that reside in us; its about Man -not the ideal one, but the common one. I understood myself and my temperaments a lot better after reading this book. The Bhagvad Gita is ultimate motivator of all the books I have ever read. I can say with every bit of confidence in me that this book will change your life.
Conclusion on Must Read Books for People in their 20
A lot goes on in the mind of a 20-something person. One need to be able to relax during these years and should read only if it offers some solace. And if one chooses so, instead of jotting down the list of my favorite books, I’d advise one to choose a genre that captures the individual.