Vortex mod manager is a massive open-source mod manager that allows you to download, install and manage different mods for your games with an easy to use interface. It supports quite many games and is available for download on Windows 7, 8 and 10 along with support for Windows XP as well.
What is the Vortex Mod Manager?
The vortex mod manager is the latest manager from Nexus Mods. This newer manager is an upgrade from their older manager called the Nexus Mod Manager which became quite famous among developers.
This mod manager does everything from downloading and installing the mods as well as managing your game mods and keeping them in one place. It supports multiple games, with an easy to use user interface and close integration with nexus mods allowing you to find, download and install mods with ease. So let’s get started
Downloading and Installing Vortex
- To get started with vortex, head over to the website www.nexusmods.com and register yourself or login to an existing account. They offer both premium and free memberships. After you register yourself, log in and download the vortex mod manager.Downloading Vortex Mod Manager
The Vortex interface is pretty straight forward. But before we move on, we need to log into the Vortex desktop application. The easier way to do it is to log in first on your default browser and then log in to the Vortex.
Vortex provides you with an interactive interface providing you with quick link buttons on your main screen, and all the panels you see can easily be arranged the way you want them to.
Changing the Paths
Before we start installing the mods, we need our mod manager to manage our games by changing the paths of games and mods. Some mods can only be deployed if the game and mods share the same drive.
Once you have set the directory of mods in the same drive as your games, you should see the option of Hardlink Deployment, make sure that it is selected.
- Navigate to Settings>Vortex. Here you will see the option to set Multi-User mode giving you the option of Per-User or Shared. As their name suggests, Per-user will give each user account on the computer his preferences of mods and settings while under the shared mode, preferences remain the same for all the users.Multi-User Options
- Since the game we will be modding for this tutorial is Skyrim Special Edition we have to change the Base Path to the same drive as our game.Changing the mods directory to the same drive as games.
- After you set the Base Path you will observe that Download Path and Install Path use the same directory as Base Path.
- Once you have set the directory properly, you should see the option of Hardlink Deployment. Make sure that it is selected.Hardlink Deployment selected
Installing the Mods
- First, we need to set the Vortex to handle Nexus Links. You can easily do so by clicking on the blue button or by going to the Settings>Download and check the handle for Download with Manager.On the main screen.
- For this tutorial, we are adding a new map style to the Skyrim Special Edition called Classic with All Roads. Head over to the following link
Skyrim Special Edition Mods
This will land on the Quality World Map page. Under the “File” tab, download the map mod.
Also Read Get Free Money Now: $5833 from 27 Ways
Nexus Mods is a popular website that allows players and fans to upload and download modifications or “mods” of video games, which are mostly of the PC platform. An online source for the distribution of original mod content, it’s one of the largest gaming mod sites on the web. Due to the large collection of games and their large library of mods, these games will usually specifically have their mod manager programs to make modding easier for everyone.
However, it can be pretty tough to design an all-in-one mod manager for all of Nexus Mods itself. Mod Organizer and Mod Organizer 2 still proved that to be a possibility, though, despite the small number of games it supports. A step-up from Nexus Mod Manager, the site’s original program for mod managing, Vortex comes with upgraded features that are perfect for Nexus Mods users.
First, it supports over 65 different popular games. Second, it seamlessly interacts with Nexus Mods, so can you easily find and get mods and even see the latest mod news. It has a built-in auto-sorting system for your load order and any mod conflicts. You can also create independent and custom mod profiles. From extensions to plugins, all your modding tools can easily be accessed via Vortex’s user-friendly interface. It’s Nexus Mods’ official manager, and it is a recommended program to have if you’re a heavy mod user.
- Easy-to-use interface
- Auto-sorting mod system
- Supports over 65 games
- Integrated with Nexus Mods
- Bit of a steep learning curve if this isn’t your first manager
Vortex Mod Manager Frozen and Unresponsive
Hey everyone! Forgive me if this has been posted before. I couldn’t find anything similar. I opened Vortex and it updated to the latest version of 1.3.22. After the update, it has become frozen and unresponsive every time I open the program. Nothing works. I’ve tried uninstalling/reinstalling, restarting the PC. So far nothing works. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Vortex is described as ‘is the new, modern mod manager from Nexus Mods’. There are six alternatives to Vortex for Windows and the Web. The best alternative is Nexus Mods, which is free.
Other great apps like Vortex are OpenIV (Free), Mod Organizer (Free, Open Source), Mod Organizer 2 (Free, Open Source) Mod Organizer (MO) is a tool for managing mod collections of arbitrary size. It is specifically designed for people who like to experiment with mods and thus need an easy and reliable way to install and uninstall them and Kortex Mod Manager (Free, Open Source).